Meditations for the 15 Mysteries of the Rosary
The Five Joyful Mysteries
I. The Annunciation
- The Angel Gabriel is sent to Nazareth.
- The Angel greets Mary: “Hail, full of grace; the Lord is with thee.”
- Mary is troubled at the Angel’s word.
- Gabriel tells Mary that she is to be the Mother of God.
- Mary speaks of her virginity: “How shall this be done, since I know not man?”
- The Angel foretells the Virgin Birth.
- Gabriel also says that Elizabeth has conceived a child in her old age.
- Mary consents: “Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it done unto me according to thy word.”
- The Word is made flesh.
- Mary adores the God Who has become incarnate within her womb.
II. The Visitation
- Mary hastens to visit Elizabeth in her time of need.
- Mary greets Elizabeth.
- At the sound of Mary’s voice, John leaps for joy in his mother’s womb.
- Elizabeth praises Mary: “Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.”
- Mary returns praise to God: “My soul doth magnify the Lord...”
- Mary waits on Elizabeth.
- John the Baptist is born and the people celebrate.
- Zachary’s tongue is loosed and he praises God.
- Joseph fears to take Mary for his spouse.
- An Angel reassures Joseph, telling him that Mary has conceived by the Holy Ghost.
III. The Birth of Our Lord
- Mary and Joseph journey to Bethlehem.
- They are turned away from the inn; there is no room for them.
- Joseph finds shelter in a stable.
- Jesus is born and laid in a manger.
- The angels announces the birth of Christ to the shepherds.
- The heavenly host praises God: “Glory to God in the highest...”
- The shepherds come to worship at the crib.
- They marvel at the word of the angels.
- Mary ponders these things in her heart.
- The Magi come to adore the Christ Child.
IV. The Presentation of Our Lord
- Mary and Joseph bring the Infant to the Temple.
- Mary and Joseph make an offering of two doves for the Child.
- Simeon sees the Christ Child and recognizes the Messias.
- He receives the Christ Child into his arms.
- Simeon blesses Mary and Joseph.
- He foretells the destiny of the Child and the sorrows of His Mother.
- Anna, who leads a life of prayer and penance, also recognizes the Savior.
- She speaks of the child to the people.
- An angel warns the Holy Family to flee into Egypt to escape Herod.
- The Holy Family returns to Nazareth.
V. The Finding of Our Lord in the Temple
- The Holy Family journeys to Jerusalem to celebrate the Pasch.
- The Holy Family worships at the feast.
- After the feast, Mary and Joseph leave Jerusalem, not knowing that Jesus remained behind.
- Jesus is found missing from the caravan after a day’s journey.
- Mary and Joseph search for three days.
- Jesus is found in the Temple in the midst of the doctors.
- Mary receives her Child in Joy and anguish.
- Jesus speaks of his Father’s work.
- Jesus returns with Mary and Joseph; Mary ponders in her heart.
- Jesus grows in wisdom, age and grace.
The Five Sorrowful Mysteries
I. The Agony in the Garden
- After the Last Supper Jesus and the Apostles go to the Garden of Olives.
- Jesus asks the Apostles to watch with Him.
- Jesus withdraws and prays.
- As He thinks of what He is to suffer and of our ingratitude, He is bathed in a sweat of blood.
- Jesus awakens the Apostles, who have fallen asleep from weariness.
- He returns to His prayer, and asks His Father that this chalice to pass away.
- Jesus again finds the Apostles sleeping.
- He returns to His prayer; an Angel comes to comfort Him.
- Mary keeps an agonizing vigil.
- Jesus goes to meet His betrayer.
II. The Scourging
- The people cry for Christ’s crucifixion.
- Pilate orders Jesus to be scourged even though He is innocent.
- Jesus is stripped and bound to the pillar.
- He is scourged by the soldiers.
- Jesus suffers without complaint.
- Jesus atones for our sins of the flesh.
- Mary suffers in compassion.
- Jesus is scourged above measure.
- The prophecy of Isaias is fulfilled (53:5).
- The Holy Shroud bears witness to the lashes.
III. The Crowning with Thorns
- The soldiers surround Christ and mock Him.
- Jesus is clothed in royal purple.
- The soldiers form a crown of thorns and place it on His head.
- They crush it down so that the thorns pierce His sacred head.
- The soldiers place a reed in Jesus’ hand and mock Him.
- They spit upon Him and strike His face.
- Jesus is beaten with the reed.
- He suffers meekly.
- Mary suffers in compassion.
- Pilate shows Jesus to the people: “Ecce Homo!”
IV. The Carrying of the Cross
- Pilate, washing his hands, condemns Jesus to death.
- The Apostles flee in fear.
- Jesus takes up His cross.
- He is so weak from the scourging that soon He falls beneath it.
- The people jeer at Christ.
- Jesus meets his afflicted Mother.
- Simon is made to help Jesus carry the cross.
- Veronica wipes the face of Jesus.
- Jesus speaks to the weeping women.
- Jesus climbs Calvary.
V. The Crucifixion
- Jesus is stripped of His garments.
- He is nailed to the cross and it is raised.
- The soldiers cast lots for Christ’s robe.
- The people mock Jesus: “If thou art the Christ, come down from the cross!”
- Jesus prays for His enemies: “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do!”
- He promises paradise to the thief.
- He leaves us His mother: “Son, behold thy mother!”
- Jesus gives up His spirit: “Father, into Thy hands I commend My spirit.”
- Jesus is taken down from the cross and laid in His Mother’s arms.
- Jesus is laid in the tomb.
The Five Glorious Mysteries
I. The Resurrection of Our Lord
- Christ rises from the dead.
- The women go to the tomb.
- An Angel descends to roll back the stone.
- The tomb is found empty.
- The Angels announce the Resurrection.
- Jesus appears to Mary Magdalen.
- The Apostles doubt the women's word.
- Peter and John find the cloths in the tomb.
- Jesus joins the disciples going to Emmaus.
- Jesus appears to the Apostles.
II. The Ascension of Our Lord
- He shows Himself for forty days to the apostles and disciples, at one time to more than 500 brethren.
- Jesus sends the Apostles to preach the Gospel.
- He commands them not to leave Jerusalem, but to await the coming of the Holy Ghost.
- In the presence of the apostles and disciples, a cloud receives Jesus out of their sight.
- The Angels reassure the them and promise Christ's return.
- Mary is filled with joy.
- Jesus leads the Saints into Heaven.
- Jesus sits at the right hand of the Father.
- He intercedes for us to the Father.
- The disciples return to the Upper Room to pray and await the Holy Ghost.
III. The Descent of the Holy Ghost
- The disciples persevere in prayer with Mary.
- Matthias is chosen to take the place of Judas.
- The sound of a mighty wind fills the Cenacle.
- Tongues of fire rest on the disciples.
- The disciples are filled with the Holy Spirit.
- The Apostles preach to the people about Christ.
- The people are filled with wonder because each hears the Apostles speaking in his own tongue.
- Peter preaches that Christ is the Messias and that He rose from the dead.
- About three thousand souls accepted the Apostles' word and were baptized that day.
- Through the Apostles we receive the Holy Ghost.
IV. The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin
- Mary longs to see her Son.
- Soon she is to be reunited with Him in Heaven.
- The Apostles come to see Mary before she dies.
- They are heartbroken that she is to leave them.
- Mary consoles and strengthens each of the Apostles.
- Her love for her Son is so great that her body can no longer contain her soul.
- She dies in peace and great joy.
- Mary is laid to rest.
- Mary is assumed into Heaven and is received joyously in Heaven.
- The Apostles find the tomb empty.
V. The Coronation of Our Blessed Mother
- Jesus crowns Mary Queen of Heaven.
- She is enthroned at the right hand of Jesus.
- Mary is seen crowned with twelve stars.
- The Angels and Saints praise her.
- The faithful on earth praise her.
- Mary intercedes for us with her Son.
- Jesus cannot refuse the prayers of His Holy Mother.
- St. Joseph reigns with Jesus and Mary.
- The day of Judgment approaches.
- The Church longs for heaven.
.======. | INRI | | | | | .========' '========. | _ xxxx _ | | /_;-.__ / _\ _.-;_\ | | `-._`'`_/'`.-' | '========.`\ /`========' | | / | |/-.( | |\_._\ | | \ \`;| | > |/| | / // | | |// | | \(\ | | `` | | | | | | | | | \\jgs _ _\\| \// |//_ _ \// _ ^ `^`^ ^`` `^ ^` ``^^` `^^` `^ `^